Sunday, November 16, 2008

Our FIRST Time...

Earlier in the week Colin seemed to come down with a mild cold, I didn't really think much of it, mainly because he didn't seem like it bothered him.  So on Saturday when Chris called me at work and said he thought Colin was "really" sick, I blew him off.  I told him to take Colin to my parents and get his butt to work.  

Well...when I went to pick Colin up at my parents it was obvious he was sicker than ever before.  It was easy to realize he had Croup by the weird cough he had.  Poor little guy.  So we of course did all the things we knew to do with a baby that has Croup...

* we got a humidifier ( a cool mist one to be exact)

* we took him out into the freezing cold (somehow that helps open up the airways)

* we even drove on the freeway with his windows rolled down

But when we were driving home and he started to cough and then couldn't breath we knew we had to get him to the hospital  So we gathered up his favorite comfort items, like his bottle, his sippy cup, his bear and his blanky and we headed for a long night at Primary's.  

We didn't get home til about 5 am.  But we are so glad that we went, the imediatly got him oxygen and steriods to open up his lungs.  Then they did a more intense treatment and had to observe him for 3 hours.  I know this is just the beginning of many scary hospital nights, but I am just so grateful that we have insurance...and great medical care so close.  It was such a comfort knowing he would be okay because we could get him care he needed.  

5 comments:

Jackie Sanders said...

Wow! Scary, yeah! Especially when you think its just nothing major.
I hope he's ok.
They can get sick from so much. Hopefully the first trip of not many to the hospital

Jinksfam said...

Oh my gosh!! Ellie I can't believe that happened!! I'm glad that he is ok. Im calling you right now!!

The Johnsons said...

Ellie! That's terrible, you poor things! I was thinking about you today before I even read this. I need to call you, I miss you!

Joanna said...

How scary!! Croupe is the worst! I hope he feels better soon! love ya!

Steph said...

Scary! ER visits are no fun. Glad that he is ok